UIC Center for Healthy Work
The UIC Center for Healthy Work is a research and education center established in 2016 to advance the health and well being of workers in Chicago, the state of Illinois, and the nation. Our center is one of ten Centers of Excellence for Total Worker Health®, funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
The Center's mission is to remove barriers that impact the health of low wage workers in the increasingly contingent workforce.
We aim to identify and promote employment programs, practices, and policies that will improve worker and community health locally, across the state, and throughout the nation. To that end, we build long-term collaborations with organizations, professionals, and community partners to research, support, and implement activities to support healthy jobs that:
- Are free from workplace hazards
- Pay a thrivable living wage
- Offer job security
- Provide benefits such as health insurance, vacation, sick leave, retirement
- Are free from discrimination and exploitation
- Offer opportunities for advancement
- Provide freedom to express concerns, organize, and participate in workplace decisions